SeroLean HORMONAL HARMONY HB5 EndoPeak GLUCONITE JOINT ETERNAL LANTA FLAT BELLY SHAKE PRONERVIUM NERVOGEN PRO Pineal XT PROSTASTREAM SeroLean SeroLean SeroLean SeroLean SeroLean SeroLean potent stream potent stream potent stream quietum plus Gluco Shield Pro Gluco Shield Pro Sumatra Slim Belly Tonic Sumatra Slim Belly Tonic Sumatra Slim Belly Tonic Zen Cortex Zen Cortex Zen Cortex aizen power hormonal harmony hb-5 pineal xt potent stream prostadine prostadine quietum plus tonic greens emperor's vigor tonic

University's Guidelines for Reporting Cases of Sexual Offences for University Procedures


The taking of a statement is a formal report of circumstances associated with a sexual offence which may be used in an internal disciplinary procedure. The fact that a statement has been taken, however, does not necessarily mean that formal proceedings will follow. This will depend on the wishes of the complainant who will be central to this decision. The statement should be taken in a private room or facility.

Preferably, only the complainant and person taking the statement should be present, but the complainant may wish to have someone present for support. This is allowed as long as that person does not interfere with the process.

More Info

Sexual Assault & Rape Response: What should I do if I have been sexually assaulted or raped?

Step 1

Get yourself to a safe place, if possible. You will need support, so if it would help, inform someone you trust (eg a friend, residence manager, lecturer, administration staff member). You may also call the Gender-Based Violence Support toll-free number (0800 428 428/ 0800 GBV GBV).

Step 2

Do not wash yourself, eat or drink until you have seen a doctor. There might be hair, blood or semen on your body or clothes that can be used as evidence to convict your attacker. Keep the clothes wrapped in newspaper, paper bag or clean pillowcase, not a plastic bag which can damage the evidence.

Do not clean yourself in any way until after the medical examination. This includes washing the vaginal area with water or any other liquids (douching), showering, bathing, rinsing your mouth, wiping away stains or changing your clothing. If you need to go to the toilet, keep the toilet paper (let it dry). Evidence on your body, clothes and toilet paper can be used to convict your attacker. Place the clothes and toilet paper (if used) in a paper bag or a clean pillowcase, and contacting one of the following:

  • Campus Protection Services
  • Nearest hospital/clinic
  • Dora Nginza Thuthuzela Care Centre (TCC)
  • Port Elizabeth Rape Crisis Centre (RCC)

Step 3

Do not wait longer than 72 hours of the incident for medical help and support.

At the hospital/clinic you will receive medical help, an optional forensic examination, and trauma counselling. You are at risk of getting HIV and STIs, and possibly pregnancy. Ask for medicine, known as PEP (Post Exposure Prophylaxis), to protect yourself from all of these. These medicines, which must be taken within 72 hours of the rape, include:

  • The Morning after Pill (MAP) or Emergency Contraceptive Pill - these pills prevent pregnancy.
  • Antiretroviral treatment (ARVs) to prevent HIV infection. You will have to take tablets every day for 28 days.
  • Antibiotics to prevent Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs).

While at the health facility, also ask for the number of a local counselling service to give you support, such as the TCC and RCC (please turn over page for useful contact numbers).

Step 4

Call the South African Police Service (SAPS) on 10111 to report the case. Alternatively call your nearest SAPS office.

Rape is never your fault. Rape is a crime and you have the right to lay a charge if you chose to at any SAPS office not matter where the rape took place. The police cannot tell you whether or not it is correct to lay a charge. Ask for the station commander if you feel that the police at the charge desk are not listening to you. The police should take you to a private room and you can request a female officer.

Write down the case number and the name and number of the police officer in charge of your case. Ask for a copy of your police statement. The police must put your case number on the J88 form, then stamp and sign it and give it to you.

If you were intoxicated at the time of the rape, do not let this stop you from reporting the matter to the police or from getting medical treatment. Being intoxicated is not a crime; rape is. According to the law, you cannot give consent while you are very drunk.

You can report the rape up to 20 years after it occurred, but the sooner you report the better chance the

Step 5

Follow up on legal processes, by contacting the following:

  • Transformation M&E office for advice on No-Contact Orders and Nelson Mandela University's disciplinary options and advice on opening a criminal case.
  • Legal office for advice on No-Contact Orders and Nelson Mandela University disciplinary options and advice on opening a criminal case.
  • Campus Protection Services for advice on No-Contact Orders and Nelson Mandela University's disciplinary options and advice on opening a criminal case

Your nearest SAPS office or TCC to lay a charge.

Step 6

Consider counselling, by contacting Student Counselling Services on your respective campus during office hours. Alternatively, contact any of the 

Step 7

Contact the Transformation M&E office on, at any stage of the process for any advice, complaints or concerns.